Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Waiting. It's a good thing, child-bearing women.

What I almost wrote to a cousin on facebook. What I want to write to SO many people...

"I know...the last little stretch is oddly the longest. But, know, she will be here when she is ready and that's a really good thing... you want her to be the best she can be - even if it may be asking a LOT from you. Healthy babies are worth every second of wait. And this long waiting time will fall away into oblivion once she is in your arms. <3 "

But I know. They don't want to hear it. No one wants to be preached to and I know - the "just world theory" is everyone's best friend (even if they aren't aware). It's pervasive and a way of surviving because no one wants to know what I know... and will never "un-know" (and sometimes still doubt as I fall victim to "just world" theory myself).

WHY can't people be excited that their baby is staying where they need to be as long as they need - the assumption being, they aren't READY yet to be born, if you aren't in labor yet.

I didn't get to let Gwen wait - and all I wanted, desperately was to let her come when she was ready and not have to induce her out at 37 weeks. But her life was on the line, so there wasn't a question that I wouldn't do it, of course.

And YES. I couldn't imagine how I did it before, with Lil, and how I would have handled more than 37 weeks - I was uncomfortable like everyone else - but honestly that, comparatively, with a healthy child no-less- that is the easiest parenting "issue" I've ever faced. Hand's down.

Come one people. Imagine for a moment you had no choice and couldn't carry your baby as long as the baby decided he/she needed. Be HAPPY for every day of your healthy, normal, pregnancy which yes, includes lots of WAIT.

Waiting is a LUXURY of a woman carrying a healthy baby.

And I won't even go into what it's like for the "Baby-loss" mom's I know who had to wait for an unhealthy baby (not all at "at risk" babies are induced. So if you are waiting and find your self frustrated, imagine waiting of your baby knowing they may not make it once they are born...).

So, really. Stop. Stop and love your big belly and know - it is the most simple parenting will ever get.

3 comments:

  1. i couldn't have said it better myself. when i was pregnant with sawyer, my husband's best friend had a very pregnant wife. she bitched every living moment of each day about how hard it was to be pregnant and how all she wanted was the baby out...NOW

    I remember a post about her doctor appointment - and how pissed she was that the doc wouldn't induce her. I told her she needed to suck it up and WAIT it is GOOD TO WAIT.

    Needless to say, she still drives me nuts. Bitching all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GRRRRRRRRRRRR - just hearing about her - GRRRRRRRRRR.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes yes yes, it's a LUXURY and a priceless GIFT to be able to wait until the day, a day that is soon whether or not it seems so at the moment, when a healthy baby will be born and the mom can look forward to a lifetime of watching that baby grow. I try my best not to look at moms who complain as though they sound totally pathetic (shh, I never said that!) But c'mon....so you have a few varicose veins and you threw up a few times....some of us would do anything to be "enduring" that last weeks of a healthy pregnancy. Ugh. This really is a pet peeve of mine, and I can say that because I never minded when I was almost 42 weeks pregnant ( :

    ReplyDelete